Thursday, July 7

This morning, I went for a run with Luke's dad who plotted out a nice route near and on the beach close to the resort we are staying at. I think the run was somewhere between 3 and 4 miles long. There were a handful of other runners on the beach. Ken was saying that there are even more earlier in the morning. Near the end of the run, it was getting fairly warm, so I can see why most runners would choose to run earlier, before the sun has really come up.

Ken's running strategy is to run as far as he can at a set pace, and then walk 50 steps, and then start running again for as far as he can and take another 50 steps. I tried this a few times, but have always found it to be difficult to slow down only to speed up again, but I think it's a valuable skill to work at since there are a number of reasons why someone may need to slow down or stop during a race, and then spring back into action.

For the first few days of the trip, Ken was concerned that his pace might be too slow compared to mine, so he didn't want to run with me. But it was really nice to have a running partner. And we both worked up a sweat, which is part of the point, so I think it was a success. Thanks, Ken!

No comments:

Post a Comment