Monday, June 20

Pounding Concrete

So after work today, I went on a 3-mile run with Baxter. It was cooler today when we ran than the time before, which helped him get through it, I think.

And when we got to the hill leading back into downtown Saint Paul, I decided to walk it, to avoid stirring up a heel injury, and because it seemed as if Baxter really needed it.

After we got up the hill, and I tried running again, Baxter refused to pick up the pace again. After the nice walk up the hill, I expected him to be game for running again. And then I noticed that Baxter was limping slightly.

I had him roll over so I could see the bottom of his paws, and sure enough, Baxter was injured. Running on concrete had rubbed the pads on his paws down to the skin, and he winced when I touched them.

I decided to carry him the 3 to 4 blocks to a park where he could walk on the grass. And then he was able to walk the rest of the way home. Poor guy. I guess I will need to find a different running partner.

As a result of all the walking, I gave up on timing my mile pace. I'm just glad Baxter and I got through it.

1 comment: